Wednesday, 7 November 2018

47 KILLED IN HORROR CRASH IN RUSAPE


At least 47 people have perished in a horror crash involving Smart Express and Bolt Cutter buses near Rusape tollgate this evening. Reports indicate that the buses had a head on collision.
Police Spokesperson, Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi said they have so far identified 47 bodies at the accident scene. of the 47, 45 are adults while two are children.
Makoni district administrator and chairman of the district Civil Protection Unit Mr Darlington Museka said Rusape General Hospital mortuary was overwhelmed and they had engaged Nyaradzo Funeral Services for assistance.

District medical officer Dr Tendai Nyafesu said the general hospital mortuary had capacity for 16 bodies but could be stretched to accommodate 36.
“This is horrific,” said Mr Museka, who was coordinating the transportation of the bodies and the injured to hospital. “It is not something easy to accept and we are very saddened by this sad development in our district. I cannot say much as I am running around following this tragedy.”

When our Harare Bureau news crew arrived at the scene of the accident, the road was blocked and rendered impassable with bodies, the injured and their luggage strewn all over the place.
Well wishers could be seen helping ferry the injured to hospital.

An eyewitness who attended the accident scene said: “The driver of the Smart Express bus was trying to overtake a haulage truck and encroached into the lane of the oncoming bus, resulting in the head on collision.

“The driver and conductor of Smart Bus Express survived and are said to have escaped from the scene soon after the accident.”
The status of the Bolt Cutter driver could not be ascertained last night.
Some passengers were trapped in the bus and could be heard crying for help.

The Rusape fire brigade quickly responded and helped remove the trapped passengers.
A doctor resident at Rusape General Hospital said at least 70 people had been admitted to the hospital.
a“People are still coming in, but according to our register now, 70 people have been admitted to the hospital,” said the doctor who could not be identified as he is not authorised to speak to the media.

0 comments:

Post a Comment