Monday 28 August 2017


A SEVEN-YEAR-OLD boy died instantly while his 10-year-old brother was hospitalised after the two vomited blood and also bled from both nostrils and ears in a suspected food poisoning incident in Lupane.

They started vomiting while at their family water well which is about 100 metres away from home last Sunday at around 9AM.

Cabangani Maseko died at Qhubekani Moyo’s Homestead, Tshebetshebe village, under chief Mabhikwa where they lived with their aunt Mrs Sibusisiwe Moyo (44) about two hours later.

Khumbulani Maseko was rushed to St Paul Clinic from where he was transferred him to St Luke’s Mission Hospital for further management. He is still admitted to the hospital.

Lupane district medical officer Dr George Mutizira confirmed the suspected poisoning incident.

“We received a suspected food poisoning case whereby two children began vomiting while at a well, and one of them died within two hours at home. The other boy is receiving treatment at our hospital were his condition is being monitored.”
He said they received a report that the siblings left home with an elder sister.
“While at the well, the two boys suddenly started vomiting. Their sister rushed back home with them. The sister confirmed that the two boys did not consume anything at the well or even on their way to the well.

“At home the seven-year-old’s condition continued to deteriorate as he lost a lot of blood. He died and their aunt decided to rush the other boy to hospital. He was transferred to St Luke’s Mission Hospital where his condition is now stable and he is recovering,” said Dr Mutizira.

He said the deceased was ferried to the United Bulawayo Hospitals for post mortem to ascertain the cause of death.

“We suspect that the children could have ingested something poisonous although it’s difficult to be certain from the given history,” said Dr Mutizira.

Matabeleland North police spokesperson Inspector Siphiwe Makonese could not be reached for comment. chronicle


Post a Comment