As Zanu PF factions destroy each other, the military will have a huge say as to who would take over from President Mugabe.
As Zanu PF factions destroy each other, the military will have a huge say as to who would take over from President Mugabe.
He is a controversial prophet who continues to draw large crowds with his promise of miracles. But as his popularity soars he faces all sorts of allegations. So far he has survived.
Two secretary generals tried to topple him but failed. His wife walked out but returned home. Now MDC leader, Morgan Tsvangirai, is plotting his way to State House.
Wednesday, 29 March 2017
The suspect, Meddas Hamadziripi, is alleged to have killed Norman Gunduza sometime in December 2013 after the sexual act along Chipokoteke River. The accused was arrested in 2015 when she was forced to confess her “best kept secret” during a traditional ceremony conducted by tsikamutandas (witch-hunters).
On Monday this week, however, Hamadziripi denied having intentionally killed her boyfriend when she appeared before High Court judge Justice Clement Phiri facing a murder charge. Austin Muzivi of the Prosecutor-General’s Office told the court that Gunduza and Hamadziripi met on December 2, 2013 along Chipokoteke River at Chaparapata Village under Chief Chinyerere in Pfungwe, where they had consensual sexual intercourse twice.
However, a misunderstanding is said to have arisen when Hamadziripi allegedly requested for money to buy soap and for her general upkeep, which did not go down well with Gunduza, who then slapped her with an open palm once on the cheek.
After being slapped Hamadziripi is said to have grabbed Gunduza’s privates and pulled them, leading to his death.
It is the State’s case that Gunduza’s body was found near the banks of the river three days later and when it was taken to hospital for post-mortem, the doctors failed to determine the cause of death considering that it was now in a state of decomposition.
In her defence, Hamadziripi, who is represented by Advocate Linos Mazonde, said she acted in self-defence after Gunduza attacked her first for demanding money to buy soap.
She also told the court that a week before the incident, she had contracted Gunduza to make a hoe handle and to sharpen the hoe as well.
After four days, she said Gunduza visited and told her that her items were ready for collection and she proceeded to his homestead with him, but along the way, Gunduza stopped and demanded to have sexual intercourse with her.
“He (Gunduza) replied that he first wanted to sleep with me that day. I told him that I was old and was no longer menstruating and I no longer loved men. He insisted and got hold of me by the hand. I noticed that he was drunk,” Hamadziripi said. “We grappled all the way to the stream. I told him that we had loved one another a long time ago and that was over. I got tired eventually from grappling with him and we had sexual intercourse twice at the stream.”
She added: “I only pulled his private parts once after he hit me. I was defending myself. I did not foresee that my actions were likely to cause death. I do not know what killed him. I left him alive at the scene.”
The matter continues tomorrow for submissions. Newsday
The villagers want Home Affairs minister Ignatius Chombo, Commissioner-General of Police Augustine Chihuri and Lands and Rural Resettlement minister Douglas Mombeshora charged with contempt of court after authorities disregarded a court order stopping the evictions.
In their application, the residents said the conduct of the law enforcement agents in the unfolding events was “a sad commentary to the status of the Rule of Law in Zimbabwe”.
On Friday last week, High Court judge Justice Felistas Chatukuta ruled in the residents’ favour and ordered the police to immediately stop demolishing houses and evicting the families from the farm, but the police allegedly scoffed at the court order and continued with their actions unabated.
“The demolitions continued on the 25th of March 2017 and this time the police were forcing the villagers whose homes they had demolished to board trucks. The residents would be driven some 35-40km along the Mvurwi Road and dumped in the bush and told to find their way to where they originally came from,” the villagers, who are represented by Donsa-Nkomo and Mutangi Legal Practitioners, said in their affidavits.
“The villagers are just dumped in the open, without food, water, or shelter. Our crops and livestock are left at Arnold Farm; our children are still at the schools they were attending since 2000 when we resettled at the farm and now their education is being disrupted.”
Added one villager: “I aver that the disobedience of the court order by the respondents is wilful or reckless and also mala fide (in bad faith). There can be no worse form of contempt than to appear before this honourable court and consent to an order which respondent (police) had no intention of respecting.
“The conduct of the respondents in this case is a sad commentary to the status of the Rule of Law in Zimbabwe. As applicants, we had hoped to get relief from this honourable court, but when the orders of the court are brazenly disobeyed, as in this case, then there is no hope for us.”
In the application, the applicants were cited as Nyatsambo Katsamudanga, Innocent Dube, Rosemary Masiyiwa, Maliyana Mateo, Livingstone Musanhu, Makoore Leonard, Chenjerai Murambiza, Phanuel Chingoriwo and Arnold Farm Residents’ Association, while Mombeshora, Chihuri and Chombo were cited as respondents. The matter is yet to be heard.
The villagers argue that they had been staying at the farm over the past 17 years before the forced removal by gun-toting police and military personnel. Newsday
Among the killed were four directors of Beira-headquartered Green Motor Services (GMS).
A Zimbabwean, Mr Banele Sibanda, who was finance and accounts manager of Cornelder de Mozambique, a sister company of GMS based in Mutare was among the six people killed.
The eight-seater plane crashed into the Vumba mountains around 8am on the Zimbabwean side on Monday, while heading for Mutare where the victims were due to hold a board meeting.
Witnesses attributed the crash to bad weather since it was misty at the time of the crash.
According to ZBC News, family members and workmates from GMS and Cornelder de Mozambique went to Mutare Provincial Hospital to identify the bodies.
Adelino DeJesus Mesquita (managing director), Isaac Noor (finance director), Antonio Jeorge Ucucho (legal advisor), together with crew members, Captain Rui Fonseca Tereira Do-Santos, who was being assisted by his son, Adelino De-Lopus Dos-Santos, were aboard the Mozambican registered Air Transport Company plane, Islander BN-2A-300, Registration Number C9-AOV, when tragedy struck.
GMS Mutare Dry Port general manager, Mr Lawrence Takawira, who was waiting to pick up the directors expressed shock and said the GMS family had been robbed of figure heads who were driving the organisation.
He said the four were due to attend a board meeting at the Mutare company.
The commercial manager for Cornelder de Mozambique Jan de Vries commended the Zimbabwean and Mozambican Governments for the support rendered, and saluted the army for searching and airlifting the bodies from the mountainous Zohwe area.
The wreckage is yet to be removed from the mountain as investigations are still in progress, but according to information from villagers, the pilot could have lost visibility due to the misty conditions prevailing at the time of the crash.
Green Motor Services runs the Mutare Dry Port, which is involved in the clearing of goods from the Port of Beira in Mozambique. Herald
Apostle Chiriseri died in September last year when his vehicle hit a donkey at the 44km peg along the Bulawayo-Harare highway. He was travelling from Harare with his wife Pertunia who suffered serious injuries and was admitted in hospital for about a month before she was discharged.
Tawanda Mawere (31) stationed at Mbembesi police station and Mthandazo Rick Dube (34) from Bulawayo Fire Brigade appeared before magistrate Sithembiso Ncube facing a charge of theft.
The duo was jointly charged with Constable Mkhokheli Mpofu (30), who died on March 17 this year after he was hit by a vehicle driven by a former police officer, Mr Peter Cahile, who failed to stop at a roadblock near the spot where Apostle Chiriseri died.
Prosecuting, Mr Alfonse Makonese told the court that on September 15 last year, Dube retrieved the deceased’s body from the wreckage and searched it.
“He then took $505, 95 from the wallet and recorded it in the Famona Fire brigade log book and the two police officers, Mawere and Mpofu, appended their signatures in the presence of Mount Olives International church Pastor Gordon Dube who was one of the first people to arrive at the scene,” said Mr Makonese.
When pastor Dube left the accident scene, the trio allegedly connived to steal $200 from the money they had recovered.
Mr Makonese said the theft was discovered when a relative to the apostle, Bishop Colin Nyathi of Harvest House International Ministries, communicated with Pastor Dube who revealed to him the amount of money found in Apostle Chiriseri’s pocket.
“On September 17, Pastor Dube inquired from Pastor Nyathi whether he had collected Chiriseri’s property and he told him that he was only handed $305,95 as the recovered property.
“He confronted Mawere and Mpofu about the missing $200 and they both denied having misappropriated the funds.”
The money and the fire fighter’s log book were not recovered. Investigations were carried out leading to the accused persons’ arrest. chronicle
Tuesday, 28 March 2017
The two are accused of undermining the First Lady, who is secretary for Women’s Affairs, corruption, insubordination and fanning factionalism with Cde Mahoka facing further charges of denigrating Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa and Presidential spokesman Mr George Charamba.
Sources who attended the meeting said the duo’s case will be referred to the disciplinary committee of the party and if confirmed, will then be ratified by the Politburo, according to party procedure, rules and regulations.
The sources said the Women’s League national executive meeting at the party’s headquarters also recommended that national commissar Cde Saviour Kasukuwere be put to his defence on a number of charges, among them trying to block last week’s nationwide demonstrations against Cdes Moyo and Mahoka.
Cde Kasukuwere then accused another party cadre Cde Jimayi Muduvuri of leaking information to The Herald to the effect that he was against the Women’s League programmes.
The Women’s League, one of the party’s three arms, yesterday called Cde Kasukuwere to order, saying he was not a member of the wing.
“The Women’s League resolved that Cdes Moyo and Mahoka should be expelled,” said the source. “That has to be endorsed by the Politburo, but a position has already been taken.
“Also on notice is Cde Kasukuwere whom the wing felt is fanning factionalism and is also accused of attempting to stop our demonstrations last week.”
Zanu-PF secretary for Women’s Affairs and First Lady Dr Grace Mugabe, told the wing’s members at the beginning of the meeting that they wanted to investigate all charges being levelled against Cdes Moyo and Mahoka, after which they would make recommendations to the Politburo.
“We are to analyse what has been happening this past week up to the weekend,” Dr Mugabe said. “It is about the Women’s League deputy Cde Sandi Moyo and finance secretary Sarah Mahoka.
“So we are still looking to see if the charges against them are true or not. So that is why we are meeting here today.
“But we as the Women’s League executive can’t make a decision on whether what happened is true or not, but we will write down what we think will please the majority. After this we will then send our report to the Politburo as per procedure.
“We follow procedure so that we show them what the women from all the provinces agreed on. Women came in their numbers to show that they are not happy with the way the top 10 in the Women’s League national executive are working.
“So we are here to see if what was written is true and whether are we agreeing with it.
“We then write the points and then we send to our leaders and tell them that this is what the women have said and they are not happy about it. So the decision will be taken from there. There is disciplinary committee that will then decide.”
Before the wing’s secretary for information and publicity Cde Thokozile Mathuthu gave her Press statement after the meeting, journalists were allowed to enter the conference room.
Some of the Women’s League members were shouting and clapping their hands saying:
“These (Cde Sandi Moyo and Cde Mahoka) we fired them, we now want (Cde) Kasukuwere.”
Another member shouted: “Don’t say that, there are media people here”, to which another voice shouted from the floor: “But is it a lie?”
In her statement on the outcome of the meeting, Cde Mathuthu said: “Last week members of the Zanu-PF Women’s League staged a nationwide demonstration against Cde Eunice Sandi Moyo, deputy secretary for Women’s Affairs and Cde Sarah Mahoka, secretary for finance, over various allegations of impropriety and conduct unbecoming of persons in such high profile positions.
“On Monday 27 March, 2017, the wing’s top leadership referred to as the Top 10 met to deliberate on these demonstrations against the pair. The provincial chairpersons submitted petitions from their respective areas highlighting grievances they were raising against Cdes Sandi Moyo and Mahoka.
“Today, Tuesday 28 March, 2017, the Women’s League national executive also met here at Harare party headquarters as a follow up to the Monday meeting by the top 10.
“Again, chairpersons of the Women’s League presented petitions from their respective provinces against the two executive members, which were discussed at length.
“Following those deliberations, it suffices at this stage to say that due processes regarding the resolution of disciplinary cases of this nature will be followed through according to the rules and guidelines of our revolutionary party.
“The nation will be advised about the fate of the two Cdes in the fullness of time. The nation will be appraised of the outcome after we conclude the requirements of our Zanu-PF party constitution. No action has been taken against them yet, as we are still to conclude the requirements of our Zanu-PF constitution.”
Asked on claims by Cde Kasukuwere that the Women’s League was hijacked, Cde Mathuthu said: “I am sorry Cde Kasukuwere is not part of the national executive of the Women’s League.” herald