Sunday, 3 December 2017


A five-year-old Mwenezi child died last week after she gulped an unknown pesticide which she mistook for a flavoured drink.

Trisha Zeston of Jaravani Village under Chief Mazetese died at her parents’ home a few minutes after complaining of stomach pain soon after drinking the pesticide, which was kept in an Iron Brew drink container.

Masvingo provincial police spokesperson Inspector Charity Mazula confirmed the unfortunate incident.

“We have received a report of sudden death by poisoning involving a five year-old female juvenile. She was playing with other two children in the bush when she picked a container with a poisonous substance and drank it. She thought the substance, which is suspected to be a pesticide, was a drink,” said Inspector Mazula.

The juvenile, police said, started complaining of a severe stomach pain after getting home.
The girl’s mother, Ms Abigail Mhara, took her daughter to hospital after the girl’s friends had told her that she had drank an unknown substance.

However, Trisha started vomiting profusely and died a few minutes later before she could be taken to hospital.
By last week her body was awaiting post-mortem at Neshuro Hospital.
Inspector Mazula advised parents to properly dispose of pesticide containers or destroy them after using the contents.

“We advise members of the public to dispose of these containers to avoid unnecessary loss of lives. Any pesticide should also be kept out of reach of children,” she said. Herald


Post a Comment