Thursday, 3 November 2016


First Class Bus Company owner, Simbarashe Gibson, yesterday appeared at the Harare Magistrates’ Court charged with aggravated indecent assault.

Gibson, who is reportedly visually impaired, appeared before Harare provincial magistrate, Vakai Douglas Chikwekwe and was remanded in custody to today for bail ruling.
Prosecutor, Michael Reza told the court that on the day in question, Gibson phoned the complainant to report to his office after she had knocked off. When the complainant arrived, she was allegedly asked to undress, but refused.

The State alleges Gibson forcefully ordered the complainant to open her mouth, while pointing a gun at her, and fearing for her life, the woman complied and he inserted his manhood into her mouth. Gibson then allegedly led the complainant to his parked car and drove her to his Hillside home, where he detained her from October 9 to 28.

Gibson’s lawyers opposed his placement on remand, arguing the charge he was facing before coming to court was that of defaulting court, which they wanted to contest first, adding they were not aware of the new charge.

However, Reza challenged the defence to come clean, saying Gibson was a fugitive from justice. He said Gibson was an unrepentant person, who committed aggravated indecent assault after he had been convicted in 2014, but fled the country after being granted bail.

“This accused person is a convicted rapist. On November 14, 2011, he was sentenced to 12 years‘ imprisonment, your worship, after raping a destitute girl and some of the years were suspended and he was left with a seven-year effective jail term,” Reza said.

“This accused person is not a poor man, your worship, he is the owner of First Class buses and he is also a very lucky man, your worship, because after serving five working days in jail, he was granted bail on appeal.” 

Reza said after Gibson was granted bail on appeal, he disappeared and was issued with a warrant of arrest in July 2013. Newsday


Post a Comment