Tuesday, 18 October 2016


SIX family members from Insiza District yesterday chased a suspected serial rapist into a police base where they allegedly stabbed him to death. The man allegedly raped and stabbed a woman from the family last week, leaving her hospitalised.

Villagers told The Chronicle that Misheck Khanye (24) of Village 9, Allendale in Fort Rixon, had allegedly raped at least six women in the village and was a known thug but police never arrested him.

Witnesses, including his family, said everyone was celebrating that “the dog that had terrorised the community for so long, had finally died.”

The villagers said the father of the victim (61), his five sons (names withheld to protect the identity of the rape survivor) and Mduduzi Nxumalo (24), ganged up to kill Khanye.
The brothers of the rape victim fled from the scene leaving their father behind, who was then arrested.

The incident occurred at around 11AM at Shangani Business Centre.
“Khanye, who was armed with a machete and a knife, raped the woman last week. He went into hiding after villagers decided to mete out mob justice,” said Mr Never Ncube.

“One of the woman’s brothers arrived from South Africa last week and we think he mobilised family members to hunt Misheck down. They ambushed him as he disembarked from a vehicle at Shangani business centre and chased him to Shangani Police Base.

“A policeman from the base rushed to the business centre but the woman’s father held him while his sons chased Misheck. They stabbed him twice as he tried to get protection from other cops at the base.”
Mr Jonath Mpofu, Khanye’s uncle, said his nephew had been terrorising the community but had finally messed with the wrong family.

“Last week, he raped a woman who is a mother of two. He disappeared after committing the crime and we had not seen him till now when we were called to identify the body”, he said.

A member of Khanye’s family said last week the family resolved to hand him over to the police to save him from being killed by villagers, the moment he returned.

“Not that he deserved to die, but he needed to account for his deeds. He raped, robbed and mugged people. He was now hated in the community,” she said.

A police source said detectives recovered goods that villagers lost in robberies recently in his bag, indicating he was responsible for the crimes.

“An airtime agent was robbed of cash and airtime recharge cards on Monday night. His bag was snatched in the dark on his way home. The now deceased was found with the bag.”

When The Chronicle caught up with Fort Rixon Officer in Charge, Assistant Inspector Mazwi Goto, for comment, he referred this paper to the provincial spokesperson.

Matabeleland South police spokesperson Inspector Philisani Ndebele could not be reached for comment as his phones went unanswered. On Monday, Insp Ndebele said police were hunting for Khanye following the sex attack on the woman.

“We’re investigating a rape incident that occurred in Insango village on October 8. The suspect allegedly emerged from the bush as the victim was walking on a pathway alone and demanded sex. He threatened the woman with a machete and knife before forcing himself on her,” he said. chronicle


Post a Comment