Friday, 15 July 2016


Fifty-eight people from Epworth, Mabvuku and Ruwa who are linked to the public violence experienced in the city last week, spent the week in remand prison after they failed to raise the bail.

The group was arrested together with 46 others on public violence charges. They appeared before Harare Provincial magistrate Mr Vakayi Chikwekwe on July 8 and were ordered to pay $100 bail each while four juveniles were released on free bail.

Of the 104 people, 46 managed to pay the $100 bail and were released. Their lawyers, Mr Trust Maanda, Jeremiah Bhamu and Gift Mutisi, yesterday approached the court seeking a downward variation.

Mr Maanda said: “Your Worship, this is an application for the court to alter the bail conditions in this matter by reducing the amount that Your Worship ordered to be paid as deposit. Fifty-eight of them have not been able to raise the amount.”

He also made an application to scrap reporting conditions for two of the protesters on the grounds that one of them was a student in Bindura while the other was said to be in hospital.

Mr Maanda also sought the release of impounded vehicles which he said belonged to some of the suspected protesters.

Mr Chikwekwe granted the application and reduced the bail amount to $50.
On the application to scrap reporting conditions, Mr Chikwekwe ordered that instead of reporting once a week to the police, the said student would now report once a month at Bindura Police Station.

Mr Chikwekwe, however, advised the defence to produce proof that one of the alleged protesters was in hospital, before advising the State to inquire with the police first on whether the vehicles were being held as exhibits. herald


Post a Comment