Secretary for Transport Cde Maqhawe Sibanda and the acting Secretary for Administration Cde Leo Nyoni were suspended on Saturday during a One Million Man March post mortem meeting held in the city.
Cdes Sibanda and Nyoni are accused of diverting about $600 which was meant to organise transport for party members who wanted to travel to Harare for the historic solidarity march.
The youth league’s Bulawayo provincial secretary for Information and Publicity, Cde Colleta Shoko, said the two had been suspended and the matter was referred to the national executive for disciplinary action.
“After they presented their report, the figures didn’t add up. Between $300 and $600 was found to be missing. They failed to justify how they used the money as per our agreement as the provincial leadership. The provincial executive resolved that they be suspended. We’ve forwarded our resolutions to the national executive for disciplinary action,” said Cde Shoko.
“Other members suggested that we forgive them but it was resolved that this was a serious matter. Executive members should be accountable with the party’s funds. Last year Mpofu (former youth chair Khumbulani) was suspended for misappropriating $200. So we resolved that they also must be held responsible.”
She said the province was disappointed by the continued abuse of funds by the party’s provincial executive.
Last year provincial youth chairman Khumbulani Mpofu was suspended for misusing provincial Youth League donations raised for the 21st February Movement. Mpofu was subsequently fired for indiscipline.
The youths, however, seem divided over the latest suspensions.
Zanu PF Bulawayo youth chairperson Anna Mokgohloa professed ignorance over the matter. chronicle