Wednesday, 15 June 2016


A Ministry of Mines and Mining Development inspector has been arrested on allegations of soliciting for a $25 000 bribe from a Chinese mining company after accusing them of violating mining regulations.

 Gift Moyo (32) told the owners of the mine that included director Phillip Mann, manager Salimu Garandi and officials Li Qianzhon and one identified as Dr Ma that he had the powers to cancel their permits and licence before demanding for $25 000 so that the mine would not be closed.

According to the State, Moyo also took 200 kilogrammes of explosives from the mine, which he said were going to be “destroyed”. Moyo yesterday appeared before Mr Tendai Mahwe charged with two counts of criminal abuse of duty as a public officer and extortion.
He was freed on $100 bail and the matter was remanded to July 12.

He is being represented by Mr Benson Taruvinga of Magwaliba and Kwirira Legal Practitioners while Mr Sebastian Mutizirwa appeared for the State. The State alleges that sometime in June, Moyo and his two workmates went to Chinese mining company in Mazowe purportedly to carry out inspections.

They approached the mine’s geologist identified as Dr Feng and informed him that they wanted to inspect the mine’s records and site. The trio went through the documents before proceeding to the site in the presence of Dr Feng.

They found mining explosives which exceeded the stautory limit by 50kg and ordered the mine workers to load all the explosives into their vehicle. It is the State’s case that they told the mine officials that they had committed an offence hence they were taking all the 200kg of explosives with them.

While the workers were loading the vehicle, Moyo the court heard, went to Qianzhon’s office and started accusing him of breaching various mining regulations.
The trio told the officials that the explosives were going to be “destroyed” but did not raise any documents for the seizure.

They told the complainant to report to their office the following day in Harare.
On June 10, the mine officials went to the Ministry of Mines and Mining Development where they met Moyo.

He ordered the officials to surrender their mobile phones before ordering Garande to surrender his full blasting licence. Moyo, the court heard, told them he had evidence showing that the mine was involved in illegal dealings.

He further told them that he had the powers to cancel their mining permit and licence before demanding for $25 000 bribe. The complainants pleaded with Moyo saying that the money he wanted was too much and offered him $10 000.

Moyo, the State alleged, pretended to tear Garande’s licence and was given $400 dollars so that he would not tear it. He asked the group when they would give him the $10 000 and they told him they needed time to source for the said money.

They later agreed to meet on June 12. On June 11, the complainants reported the matter to the police and a trap was set leading to the arrest of Moyo after receiving the trap money.
Meanwhile, Prosper Dembedza reports that two Harare men yesterday appeared in court after they were caught with a tonne of copper conductors, valued at $21 200.

James Sabe (23) and Farai Magoto (34) were charged with contravening Section 60 of the Electricity Act. They were remanded in custody to today for bail ruling.
The State led by Mr Sebastian Mutizirwa had earlier on opposed bail saying the duo was facing a serious offence.

He also said the State has a strong case against the duo since they were caught red-handed burning some of the electricity cables.


Post a Comment