Tuesday, 21 June 2016


Parliament has started investigating former State Procurement Board chairperson Mr Charles Kuwaza, who is facing contempt of Parliament charges after he allegedly refused to comply with the directives of a portfolio committee he appeared before last year.

National Assembly Speaker Advocate Jacob Mudenda last month set up a seven-member privileges committee to look into the allegations that were raised by the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Mines and Energy that Mr Kuwaza wilfully refused to provide information that the committee required in exercising its oversight role.

zanu-pf MP for Mazowe West Kazembe Kazembe chairs the committee that also comprises Mazowe South MP Fortune Chasi, Norton MP Christopher Mutsvangwa and Masvingo Urban MP Daniel Shumba (all from zanu-pf), MDC-T legislators for Kuwadzana East Nelson Chamisa and Harare West Jessie Majome as well as Bulawayo Metropolitan MP Ms Jasmine Toffa (MDC).

Cde Kazembe told The Herald yesterday that the committee had since agreed on the roadmap that they will follow in carrying out the investigations.

“We had our inaugural meeting to plan the way forward in terms of our terms of reference on Friday last week as the priviledges committee,” said Cde Kazembe.

“We wanted to make sure that we are all on the same page in terms of our mandate as enshrined in the Constitution and the Standing Rules.”

The committee is expected to gather evidence and compile a report to be tabled before Parliament. herald


Post a Comment