Tuesday, 24 May 2016


OPPOSITION parties and civil society groups yesterday continued to pile pressure on Zanu PF to call off their planned million-man march in solidarity with President Robert Mugabe tomorrow, describing it as a senseless waste of resources. 

The march, expected to cost at least $600 000, comes at a time the national economy is on the brink, with banks facing crippling cash shortages.

The MDC-T said people should instead use the march to call on Mugabe and the government to immediately step down.

“lf anything, whoever is going to march on May 25 should be marching against poverty, joblessness, hunger, destitution and corruption. It is these ills that have been the
hallmark of Mugabe’s unparalleled mismanagement of the national economy over the past few decades,” MDC-T spokesperson, Obert Gutu said.

Former Vice-President Joice Mujuru’s newly-formed Zimbabwe People First (ZimPF) described the event as devoid of any economic sense.

“The march is about creating an impression to the outside world that Zanu PF and its government, that is short of ideas on how to resuscitate an economy that is already on life support, should be trusted and supported,” ZimPF spokesperson, Rugare Gumbo said yesterday.

In a statement, a civil society group, which identified itself as Tajamuka, said: “We urge you to abandon the march and direct all your efforts towards restoring sanity in this country.”

Meanwhile, by close of business yesterday, several Zanu PF provinces had reportedly not mobilised the 100 000 delegates required from each province due to lack of resources.

In Harare, youth league affiliate members, including the Zimbabwe Congress of Students’ Unions and organisations representing children of war veterans and collaborators, claimed they had been blocked from participating in the march, although former freedom fighters confirmed their participation.

“We went to the party headquarters for accreditation, but we were told it was not possible because some of our leaders were fired from the party. We were blocked by the security at the party office, but I don’t see the reason why they would do that because we all support the President,” claimed one of the senior members in one of the organisations, who refused to be named.


Post a Comment